The remainder of our trip was basically ditto of the other days. Get up, have breakfast, go to Orient and let sand gravity take over. Go back to the rental around 4:30, dinner, then chill.

Today (June 11) was the dreaded return home date! The rental manager, Magali who is a real sweetheart, had contacted us and asked what time we wanted to check out. We opted for noon since our JetBlue flight was scheduled to depart at 3:05 and we figured that would leave us plenty of time to get from Orient Village to the airport. When she came over to the unit, we returned the key to her and she said there was some traffic from Hope Estate to Grand Case. She had mentioned that there was also a detour on the Dutch side near the roundabout so either way would take about the same time. I opted for the French side. WRONG!!!

We left the village at 1205. Traffic started in Hope Estate and was bumper to bumper all the way through Hope Estate, Grand Case and Marigot. I am not sure of the name but we were still in the downtown area at 1:15, yes 1:15. I honestly was stressing that we were going to miss our flight. The traffic never let up until we were completely out of Marigot and on the main roadway that leads to the causeway.

We pulled into the airport parking lot to return the rental car at 1:38. It took us 1 hour and 30 minutes to make that normal 20 minute trip. We returned the car ad scooted into the airport. Luckily it was a Tuesday so there wasn't the mad rush of a weekend crowd or my greatest fear that day of missing our flight may have become a reality. Very easy at the airport. Check bags, go through security, head toward the gates, stop at the food counter for flight home eats, get called to board the flight, get on the buss, go to plane, get on plane and realize that the real world is only a few hours away.

The flight left a few minutes early and was only half filled. Our scheduled landing was at 6:24 but we got in to Fort Lauderdale really early, at 5:42. Yayyyyy! That was until the door was opened and the ground attendant made the announcement that the ramp was just closed due to lightning in the area. (Not complaining too much because I'd rather be inconvenienced a short while rather than a ramp worker getting injured or killed if struck by lightning.)

The customs process was a breeze with Mobile Passport. After coming down the escalator, you show your receipt from your phone to the agent at the base of the escalator and he directs you to another agent just down the hallway. That agent directs you to the proper line for Mobile Passport. That line had about 6 people/couples. Customs was done in less than 15 minutes. Continue through to the next escalator down for baggage claim. We waited approximately 20 more minutes then the buzzer starts and the carousel begins to move. At this time, it was 6:25 which was the time we were slated to land so all in all, we were still ahead of schedule. Luckily our 2 bags were one of the first 30 or so and we collected them. From there it's a real short walk to the exit. Make sure you keep your Mobile Passport receipt up and running because this is where you once again show it to the customs officer. He or she will scan the QR code and out you go for either connecting flights or, ground transportation or, in our case, the parking lot. We used Sun Pass Plus for parking and it worked out very well.

[Linked Image]