For me, 'be aware of your surroundings' means to understand when are where you are whether your on vacation or visiting another city for that matter. When I'm in Chicago I'm very much aware of my surroundings if I'm on the south side (near the University of Chicago). But, if I'm downtown with my wife or other people I'm far less on guard but still 'aware.' On St. Maarten there are areas that I will always, always avoid after dark (i.e, the Dutch Quarter, the French Quarter, Marigot, etc.). I'm aware of where those areas are, and I simply don't go there. When in St. Maarten my wife and I go out at night, but we don't walk the streets of Philipsburg until 2:00 a.m. If it's going to be a late dinner we'll call for a taxi rather than drive ourselves after dark. That provides us with door-to-door service.

In reality there's no such thing as a totally safe place, IMO. Maybe St. Barth's if you're willing to spend the money. But all of the islands have crime -- especially the Dominican Republic these last few weeks. Safety starts with awareness and when combined with common sense it can go a long way to ensure a safe and enjoyable vacation. For those people who are so worried about the possibility of crime they may be better off at a gated, all-in-one resort such as those in Mexico, Jamaica, etc. But, having done it both ways in the past and I'd rather have the freedom and options that come with an entire island like St. Maarten where I have never felt confined.