We have been here 1 week and a day now and are sadly running out of time. I am on the balcony here at Horny Toad, watching the sun come up, a cruise ship coming to port and can see Saba and Statia as it gets light.

My wife wanted to look for shells and sea glass and has found the beach in town to her liking. We made an early trip in, got free parking along the road and she proceeded to walk the beach as the vendors were wetting up for the one ship in port. The stores were not open yet so when she was done we stopped at Big Wood again for a beverage. It was then off to Caribbean Gems to see Max and contribute to the local jewelry trade while I did my best to put a dent in the local Heineken and Mimosa supply. She found a ring jacket (whatever that is) and is now the proud owner. Sizing and any adjustment was done on the spot by their resident repair person.

I have been thinking about a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses as I had a pair years ago I got from a local optician friend but the rubberized coating on the frame had disintegrated over time. Max at Caribbean Gems had suggested a store across the street from them for me to try. I had looked at a couple of pairs on previous visits to town and decided to do some looking online to see what kind of deal I was actually getting. Like is often suggested here with jewelry or any other purchase one considers on the island, do your homework. I did just that.

The sign above the door is something like "Duty Free Plaza" but the receipt prints out as "Cindys Duty Free Plaza" at 31 Frontstreet. The initial price I was quoted was about 15% off US prices at the Ray Ban site and no tax here. After a little more consideration I found a pair I liked and ended up with about a 20% discount from US retail. One has to know the prices as the original price tag on the glasses was about $47 over US retail so always consider the bottom line. Francette was the sales person I dealt with.

We decided to hit Mark's Place for a quick lunch and split a burger with fries, extra fries and each plate came with a small salad and some mac and cheese. One of the best burgers on the island.

Back to Horny Toad for a little relaxation and my wife to continue her book reading. She has read at least 3 books since we have been here and got another one from Debbie yesterday. It is cheaper than jewelry shopping!

Off to Sublime again to meet friends for dinner. Six of us shared a big table and all enjoyed their entrées which ranged from ribs, fish & chips, mahi-mahi, rack of lamb, and shrimp or chicken and noodles. I had a friend banana dessert as did two of the others. Another very good and reasonable meal. They had a little more business than our group and I hope they are able to make it as it really is good food.

I wanted to listen to some of the football game as was as able to do so vie the Browns radio network. I went to bed at half time and did not know the outcome. Once again, the Browns find a way to embarrass themselves even with winning the game.

Today is going to likely be a Mullet Bay day and then the last days spent here at Horny Toad.

J.D.