The decision to divert was likely made by the JetBlue SysOps center in Long Island City, and when the decision to divert the Inbound FLL flight was made, it was more likely that the inbound JFK was going to be diverted as well. I’m not familiar with JetBlues internal policies and protocols, but it would have been a safety-related decision.

AA’s dispatchers in Dallas, and Air France’s wherever they’re located, either had different information, or different policies and protocols. Given the wind and rain that I experienced on Wednesday afternoon (almost an inch and a half of rain in a 3-hour period, sheets of rain blowing through, and less than 1/4 mile visibility) I would have been just fine with JetBlue’s decision to divert, as I’m sure that you would have been too.

For your flight, the return out of SXM, it sounds like a total communications failure on JetBlue’s part. You should have been better informed in SXM, and you should have been better informed in SJU. That failure is worth a letter to JetBlue. You may not get anything in the way of compensation, but you will have been heard, and they may actually do something to improve similar situations in the future. SJU’s signage could be better too. I don’t recall much in the way of signs directing passengers from the C&I exit to the TSA security checkpoint.

When things go well, clearing in SJU can be a dream compared to JFK. I’m inbound through SJU 3-4 times a year, and rarely spend more than 5-10 minutes in C&I. It helps that I know the SJU airport, know where the central TSA checkpoint is, and have an airline lounge to hangout in. (I probably wouldn’t have used the lounge in your situation - better to be close to the gate when the airline’s communication is poor.)

Your frustration with your experience is understandable. JetBlue dropped the ball. They should have done better,