I wonder if other cruise stops are experiencing the same thing? And does it depend on whether SXM is the first or last stop? We have never taken a cruise that stopped in SXM. As I recall where we did stop we spent quite a bit at the first stop then less and less at other stops because we found it all the same.

Enzo is correct that the prime stores have gone from SXM. Our first visit to SXM (non-cruise) excited me so when I discovered Phillipsburg. I remember remarking we hadn't seen these stores on our cruise stops. We now are guilty of not visiting Phillipsburg due to parking, hawkers and truthfully not needing as much anymore.

I can remember staying at Great Bay Hotel and taking daily walks into town to shop, sightsee, eat at some of those long-gone fantastic restaurants. Time Shares have added to Phillipsburg's problem. Simpson Bay seems to be the new metropolis. Why fight traffic, fight to park, to go to P'Burg. Marigot used to be a shopping mecca with foreign brands products. That has changed. Marina Royal had delightful boutiques at one time. Bottom line it's not just the cruisers.