We are in the same boat… Except our trip is 6 weeks away. So, I think by then the virus will be gone or Italy will be on total locked down. Our decision process will be made much easier in either case. We are going to remain optimistic, but do realize we may not be able to go.

I have heard that some airlines / travel insurance companies are not allowing cancellations or refunds. While others like United and Delta are allowing to reschedule without a fee or cancel and use money for a future flight. No cash back. Which I guess is fair.

However, I have read that in many travel policies have exclusion statements like: Your disinclination to travel due to an epidemic or pandemic… Simply translated – no money if you decide not to travel because of a virus outbreak. Will be reading our policy carefully this weekend.

Our current plans are 6 days in Rome and then 7 days in Tuscany. Our Tuscany stay will be on a working farm surrounded by Chianti vineyards. The bad news is we will be only about 50 miles south of the dividing line recommended for self-quarantine currently.

I have also been reading the BBC reports that Milan is opening things back up again, and even in some of the small quarantine towns face masks are no longer required in the grocery stores. The US news makes it sound a more dire situation in Italy then European outlets. Albeit, no matter who is reporting it is SERIOUS issue. Also adding to the confusion of USA travelers is Trump’s mentioning possible future travel restrictions to Italy. Oh well I will not get political…. (see I am getting better Carol)

The upside of this situation… I would think Italy would be a whole lot less crowded with tourist! I know that sounds bad, but the last time I was in Rome I got beat up by folks with those damn selfie sticks that were thick as bees around hive. I can also say about being stuck longer (which I realize is not the same as quarantine) in a place is not all bad. 10 years ago, my wife and I were stuck in Amsterdam for an extra week because of the Icelandic volcano. We had a really a fun time, with no tourist coming in, museums not crowded, and the finest restaurants easily available for reservations.

ScurvyD - please keep us in the loop as you go forward in your decision process. I know it will be helpful for all of us that will follow you.

[

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés