Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Hi. I have edited the title of this post, based on a conversation I just had with an AA agent, which was sparked by a story I read online yesterday. We all know that basically anything before June 1 is not going to fly, but the flights are generally still listed online, when you go to check your reservation. HOWEVER, AA's longstanding policy, totally separate from Corona stuff, is that if your flight has changed by more than an hour, and some other changes, like change of equipment, you are entitled to cancel and get a REFUND, even if the flight still goes (albeit on the revised schedule). This is the policy for tickets booked before Corona stuff, not sure about exact date on that. However, my flights were booked in August 2019. AA changed my flights AGAIN sometime over the weekend, back to 10:30 AM, from the original time which was 12:30 PM. So I called AA to confirm that, based on this schedule change , that I was eligible for a refund. The lady said yes. She said that she could not authorize the refund over the phone, but I could do it online, with my ticket number, which she gave to me. She cancelled the flights and told me to go to a website, which is www.prefunds.aa.com. Stay on that website, do NOT take the option to take you back to AA.com. Fill in your ticket information, click on Request a Refund and fill in the info. You have to go through a couple of screens, and it will tell you if you are eligible for a refund, versus credit. They try to suck you in, to get a 20% bonus, if you elect not to take the refund. My advice is not to fall for that, just go and get your refund. It says it could take up to 7 business days for the refund to process. You can print out the confirmation of the request for refund, which you should do. You should also get an email confirming your request for a refund. It says that you can check back on the status of your refund after 24 hours.

SO, totally depressed now. I knew my trip wouldn't happen, but it's real now. Getting a refund versus a credit just seems the prudent thing to do.