Tiger sharks can be very aggressive and are known for eating anything. As soon as I heard about this attack I figured it was a Tiger. My wife and I had a run in with one while spearfishing 30 miles off the gulf coast of Florida in 80 feet of water. We had just gotten to the bottom, and did not have any dead fish with us. It was only interested in us. It circled us closer and closer on our ascent, to the point where I was jabbing it with my speargun. I have had many shark encounters while spearfishing and only twice did I actually feel like I was being hunted. One was with the Tiger, and the other a large aggressive Bull shark.

As others have stated, sharks are everywhere, and most of the time go unnoticed. They are constantly spotted on the beaches here in Florida and are constantly moving. Particularly the large ones like this Tiger. We're hoping to be on Orient beach early in 2021 and I won't hesitate to go swimming. I will definitely keep a better look out for dark shadows in the water though.