I agree with Badbenni. We have been on the island since December 7, returning to recommission our catamaran we left hastily last March. We were supposed to depart Dec 31 for SXM but the way covid was beginning to surge in California, we decided to cut and run early, which I believe was a prudent decision looking at current infection rates back in CA. I feel very safe here compared to Southern California.

Our first 10 days back we stayed in a charming ocean front airbnb in Simpson Bay close to the bridge, while we shuttled back and forth to our vessel daily. We noticed that to enter a grocery store, bank or retail, hand washing or sanitizing was required prior to entry in addition to mandatory masks. Some stores limit the numbers of patrons inside while shopping.

We have now launched our boat and moved aboard. Simpson Bay is very quiet, not many vessels anchored or in the marinas.

We have dined out multiple times and choose outdoor tables in the breeziest location possible and furthest away from other diners. With the exception of 2 restaurants, all servers wore masks. We have had wait staff thank us for returning to the Island and dining at their establishment. People here are grateful.

We did rent a car this past weekend to take a break from boat projects and spent Christmas Eve at Anse Marcel Beach Club, it was fantastic as usual although the weather not the best as Christmas winds arrived right on schedule. Christmas day we explored the Dutch side, spent a few hours at Maho watching planes land, stopping in for an afternoon beverage at Sunset. We have never seen Maho so deserted in all our trips. We decided to look for another beach and happened upon Mullet Bay, the parking lot was jammed packed full, so we decided to keep on exploring as we are not so familiar with the Dutch side.

All in all, we are extremely happy to be here. We plan to stay on the Dutch side in Simpson Bay until late January, then we hope to sail to the French side and spend a month there before deciding to where to venture next. We will continue to take necessary precautions and mitigate our personal risk. And yes it is all about everyone's personal comfort zone and risk tolerance.

Last edited by d_fish; 12/27/2020 06:55 PM.