Have they mentioned anything about how much is going to be covered for all of these things? Comparisons were initially made to the insurance in Aruba (link to that coverage), and the limits on those policies may not always cover everything. For example, quarantine is $125/day, and it doesn't extend to anyone you're traveling with unless they also test positive.

If the insurance required in St. Maarten is similar, it may not completely eliminate the need for additional coverage or eventual out-of-pocket expenses. It certainly would help, but $125/day for lodging and food during the high season could still leave a lot to cover, especially if members of a family or others in a group are also not able to fly home due to direct exposure (but they aren't covered since they aren't sick).

I spent a good amount of time on the phone with travel insurance companies and my credit card to determine what options exist when it comes to quarantine coverage. What I found is that the language you use is important. For example, "quarantine" wasn't always covered because it was grouped together with forced quarantine upon arrival regardless of if you're sick, and this was deemed foreseeable. On the other hand, if you ask about an illness (even COVID) that might prevent you from traveling home, that could be covered under "trip delay." You just can't call it quarantine. It was a very confusing process, and the insurance companies are very reluctant to answer specific questions in writing.

Last edited by dvesc; 12/29/2020 10:41 AM.