I just helped move a Juneau 53 from STT to KeyWest. Spent a bit of time in STT prior to leaving. STT is booming in every way. Several locals I spoke with are hoping the BVI stays locked down for years. Covid from tourists seems to be a non issue. The 53 was a great sailing boat and handled some challenging weather very well. I really liked the boat but it was a lesson in catamaran appreciation! We went two days essentially unable to prepare food due to weather that would have been much easier in a cat. Several days of 25 gusting to 30 and one stretch for about 12 hours of 30 to 35 gusting to 40. Boat handled it all great with the exception of one rogue wave that broke over the boat! Not sure where that wave came from as nothing else was even close to that height. Nothing like being underwater at the helm station for a 2am wakeup call. I really wished for a elevated cat helm at that point.
All the anchorages in STT appeared full and slips are simply not available. The BVI’s loss is the USVI’s gain. It will be interesting to see if some of the current shift becomes permanent.
G