Without a rudder (unlike with a jammed rudder) a sailboat is inherently unstable and unsteerable. After many hours of trying all the alternatives I could think of (heavy seas: balancing sails won't work without a rudder, motoring just goes sideways and then in circles even with trailing line, pushing/towing the boat with my 10HP dinghy in those seas didn't work) I drifted until the bottom was only 50 feet and dropped the hook and VHFd for a tow. It was an inauspicious day, as everyone with a boat was off looking for an infant that had gone overboard on a vessel that ran aground going between Fallen Jerusalem and the Baths. I waited 24 Hours and Speedy came by with his twin-engined "Unbelievable" fishing boat to tow into Spanis Town. Needless to say, anchoring in a full 6+ foot swell at sea, I was looking a bit green smile

p.s. I though of using one of my internal cabin doors as a makeshift tiller but in the end I negotiated a tow price that was less than the cost of replacing the internal door so I didn't try that. I had tried dragging weights and fenders on spare lines to get directional stability with no success as well.

Last edited by Zanshin; 03/31/2021 01:21 PM.

[Linked Image]