I thought I would provide an update to everyone. I ended up calling the NPS. The person I spoke with told me just to fill out the form, sign it myself and note that I'm chartering the boat. The form has a fax number and mailing address. He said the fax hasn't worked for a long time and instead provided an email address (CHRI_Permits@nps.gov). I sent in the form along, with a copy of the boat registration and my drivers license. I received an approval after about 4 days - which was my original form returned with a red stamp that said "approved". A copy of the email I received back is below.

One side note. We anchored where instructed and took our tender around the point to the snorkel trail and back. Our tender was very under powered so we had to stop and dump water once on the way out. The return trip was better. I wouldn't do it again in a tender unless the seas were very settled and we had a larger tender with more power. Just a heads up.

Hopefully this info helps others. The beach and water were beautiful!

Tim

-----------------

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Approved Buck Island anchoring permit
Date: April 3, 2021 at 12:07:45 PM EDT
To: "curry.tj@gmail.com" <curry.tj@gmail.com>
Cc: "Laurencin, Gabriel G" <Gabriel_Laurencin@nps.gov>, "Clarke, Mark D" <Mark_Clarke@nps.gov>, "Herbert, Travis A" <travis_herbert@nps.gov>

Good afternoon,

We have approved your 2021 temporary anchoring permit with Buck Island Reef National Monument (BUIS). Please keep this permit on your vessel at all times. We will be issuing a new permit in the foreseeable future that will include a fee and a decal sticker. Look out for updates from the Park's website and Facebook Page. Once the new permitting system is up and running, you will have to re-apply for the new permit. There is still no overnight anchoring at BUIS. The park is currently in phase 2 and will be re-opening in Phase 3, which is soon. Thank you and be safe out there. Also, the beach closes at 4pm.

From,

Stuart Beaudry
U.S. Park Ranger
Christiansted National Historic Site
2100 Church Street #100
St. Croix, Virgin Islands 00820
Cell: 340-227-3844