Said perfectly, Mrs. Ratman. I realize that I'm resurrecting an old discussion here but I'm planning to come to VG at some point this year and I wonder about this issue. The other recipient of the Gold Star is the next post after yours, by NCSailor: "A 15% service charge that is split by the entire staff is nothing more than a poorly hidden 15% increase in the menu prices."

This was a common practice by some restaurants in St. Maarten that added a 15% "service charge" which the patron thought was a gratuity that went to the staff, and at some places, virtually none of it did, but rather, was used to pay the staff salaries and defray other overhead. It's so wrong to both the customer and wait staff to do this.

I'd love to know which restaurants in Virgin Gorda that add on a "service charge" actually disburse the entire amount to the wait staff. For those establishments that don't, I want to avoid them. I've met a lot of people in my time, but none who take jobs as waiters or waitresses because they are rich eccentrics who find it a fun way to pass the time.