Hi, everyone! I’m Janae. I just joined TravelTalk today, though I’ve been lurking for a few days. I’ve been to the BVI (and St Thomas, St John, Culebra, and Vieques) once before, on a captain only cat charter nearly 15 years ago.

But that was back when I was a man—at least on the outside, anyway. I have undergone a gender transition since then, and now I present publicly as a rather femme woman.

My wife (who is also a trans woman) and I are in the very beginning stages of planning a bareboat charter for May 2023. Another lesbian couple (one trans, one not) will be coming with us.

Can anyone here speak to whether or not the BVI is transgender friendly? The other trans woman coming with us and I can fly under the radar (“pass”), but my wife often gets misgendered—mistaken for a man, called “sir,” etc. In other words, she’s visibly transgender. Will she be safe? Are people likely to be rude to her?

Same questions regarding lesbianism as well. Can two women holding hands on the beach expect to remain safe and free of verbal harassment?

Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts on this topic!