I, too enjoyed your report. You covered things quite well, and didn't focus on every thing you ate or drank like some of the trip reports do. Stayed in Philipsburg several times and for sure Sundays are not the best day to visit. A few shops are open here and there if you're looking for a last minute souvenir, but at least you were able to avoid the aggressive sales people who try to guide you inside and pressure you to buy something (made that mistake once). Many of the places you enjoyed are likewise high on our list, including Ocean 82 in Grand Case. Great dining there and with the exception of one waiter who was a total jerk a few years back (pre Irma), the staff there is extremely friendly and accommodating. And, isn't that hike from Friar's Bay to Happy Bay Beach awesome! Met some really cool looking iguanas last time I hiked it, and in my opinion Happy Bay Beach is the prettiest 'plage' on the entire island.

When you go back -- and trust me you will go back -- add a few days to the vacation and don't worry if you don't speak any french. All you need to say on French St. Martin is 'si voo play' (please) and 'merci' (thank you). Never hurts to say "please and thank you" wherever your travels take you! Finally, keep in mind that the best part of returning from St. Maarten is the immediate planning of your next visit there (whenever that may be). Glad you had a great time.