A lot can change over the next three months. Just look at the last three. Any advice given today might be reassuring now, but it may not help much in October or November. With that said, here's what reassured me when we traveled last December.
  • We had the option to cancel or change our flight and apartment reservations up until a few days before. If you're in the same boat, nothing has to be decided now and you have the luxury of seeing how things develop.
  • I was also reassured that we had a direct flight that required passengers show negative results to board. It's not foolproof, but I felt safer than I would on a domestic flight.
  • We bought additional travel insurance that covered costs for emergency evacuation and also included trip interruption expenses that would have given us plenty of money if we just needed to quarantine on the island for several days in the event of a positive test while traveling.
  • Once we arrived, we were outdoors most of the time and rarely had any exposure inside to anyone not in our family.

I mentioned this in my trip report after returning, but the most stressful part was our time in the CLT airport. We were stuck in line for about 45 minutes, no one was social distancing, and there was no guarantee anyone checking in had been tested since the line was for multiple flights. Once that was done, we were able to avoid too much contact with others -- even on the plane. However, it wasn't a great way to start the trip. I worried about it the entire time I was gone.

Last edited by dvesc; 08/11/2021 02:21 PM.