Being on the southern side of the island with the additional PROTECTION offered by the natural out-cropping of land at the western end of Maho, Mullet Beach is sheltered more than many of the beaches on Sint Maarten, from the stronger winds and sea. **Thanks for the info, but I always knew that all 37 of the beaches that SXM is known for are "right on the ocean". Overalll, Mullet most often enjoys fairly calm waters especially at the Eastern end of the beach.

Other's opinions:

US News & World Report
"Many call calm and quiet Mullet a decent alternative to the noise and sand blasts of Maho Bay, or to the crowds of the French side's Orient Bay. Along with its clear waters, travelers were pleased with Mullet Bay's soft sand and surfer-ready waves."

TA July, 2021
"Mullett Bay is a beautiful white sand beach with crystal clear water. The water is calm most of the time with a few waves here and there. It is a very busy and popular beach."

TA July, 2021
"The beach is great, most of the time like a big infinity pool. Fun to people watch, and some snorkeling along the sides as well."

Fodors
"Many believe that this mile-long, powdery white-sand beach behind the Mullet Bay Golf Course is the island's best. You can rent umbrellas and chairs here. Swimmers like it because the water is usually calm, but when the swell is up, surfers take over. The calm cove at the south end is good for kids. Listen for the "whispering pebbles" as the waves wash up. "

Another plus for Mullet is that it has had fewer problems with sargassum(seaweed) than the northern & eastern beaches have experienced.

"Rosies" is enjoyable but I doubt it draws everyone to Mullet.

The original poster inquired about meeting locals, Mullet is the #1 beach among locals and many come for it's soft beach, protected cove at the Eastern end that provides, usually, calm conditions for snorkelling and swimming. Many locals seem to bring their own food and drinks so I'm not sure that Rosies draws them to Mullet.

I apologize if some took my initial description to imply that Mullet was like a bathtub, covered by a dome.

Be Happy! Simply because you deserve to be. 😁