There's a lot of info in my report that I would hope someone would find helpful but "porters" ( I use that term losely ) were only mentioned so others might be prepared for the scam to unfold as soon as you set foot in the airport. I didn't provide much detail but for clarity, I did not need the help ( I had 1 pull type wheeled bag and 1 small carry on ) so didn't ask for assistance nor did he ask if he could help me. The scam begins with a false statement ( volunteer ) on their shirts. Perhaps they should wear a shirt that says "porter" and then there would be no confusion!
It was as though the porters were insistant on carrying your bags about 20 feet ( which you have no idea at that point ) to where you then carry them yourself out to the car. Its clearly a scam to bilk money from unsuspecting tourists and not a porter there to help you. To expect payment for carrying ( pulling ) my bags 10 ft to a set of doors and maybe 10 ft outside the doors is a scam. I believe people get paid for a service provided which there was non provided.
On return to depart there was also a "kind" person who claimed to need to help me fill out some exit papers for a $5 charge (large amount when compared to their local cost of services) . I said no thank you as I could handle the task on my own and again suspected his sincerety - he was quite insistant that I would have a problem if I didn't take his advice. It turned out when I passed through security etc. I didn't need the form anyway - another scam. I refuse to pay people who are trying to scam unsuspecting tourists but I will pay generously when they are truly trying to help and deserve my tip.
I worked in a restaurant and both my daughters worked in a restaurant and we all understand the value of tips, especially when they are earned and deserved for good service. When they are not, I make it clear why.