Antigua Sailing

For what it's worth, the trip report above is from a sailing charter in Antigua a dozen years ago. I'm sure things have changed, especially Barbuda. Barbuda was the highlight of our trip when we sailed there; I don't know if it's recovered from the hurricanes of 2017. We spent a few days in Barbuda, and the rest around Antigua. There was a lot of good sailing around the island. English Harbour was so cool, especially as we got to tie up stern-to historic Nelson's Dockyard.

I hate to say this about a Caribbean destination, since I've spent so many happy times in the islands, and fallen in love with the people. But Antigua (after 2 trips) left an unhappy vibe for me. I didn't feel welcome, Believe me, I know how to act around West Indian people; I can get even the most hardened immigration agent or shopkeeper to smile, if not chuckle, with/at me. But my best behavior made no dent in most people encountered there. I suspect it has something to do with mass tourism -- with multiple jetloads of package travelers coming in from Europe and seldom leaving their all-inclusives, and many cruise ships crowding the very small town of St. Johns on a daily basis.

Not having tried it, I don't know how easy it would be to sail to other nearby islands from Antigua.

I've been binge-watching Death in Paradise lately, and that has me dying (no pun intended) to visit Martinique and Guadeloupe, so if I personally were in the market for a new charter destination, that might be where I'd head. But I can't tear myself away from the Exumas....

I've got a Caribbean Soul I can barely control... (JB)