TravelHat by last do you mean Guarene? if so, it had everything we wanted for this stay, which was a couple restaurants, church bells, a bakery and ZERO tourists, oh and they have a Micro brewery within walking distance! The owners of Mira Langhe said they have one American couple that has stayed there every year for past 20. They don't see many Americans, which I found interesting and pretty cool.

EllenS, we Stayed once in Monterosso al Mare, had lots of daytime sightseers but we loved our mornings and evenings there. We avoid flag waving tour groups if possible. We didn't see any in Camogli or Santa Margherita?...but that will change i'm sure. Portofino had way too many visitors. I think the towns, especially the ones that can control the transportation flow should limit the crowds, they'll still rake in tourist dollars but would give the towns people and toilets a break.

As far as long term rental, would like to see it in person, but that might not be practical? We would absolutely visit the town, perhaps meet with a real estate group to put a wish list together and have a "person" to coordinate with. The beds certainly are hit or miss, if a long term rental had a crappy mattress I would buy them a new one that we like!!

I'm working on pics this morning, next report will have 2 more small towns...