Beerman, we were in Varenna the last week of May 2019. The day crowds were not bad at all during that time period - and the nights were even less so, once the day visitors cleared out. Enough people to keep it interesting, but nothing like the more touristy town of Bellagio (which has its own beauty, as you know). We liked it because we didn’t need reservations in the restaurants we went to. The weather during our visit was a bit cooler than expected (light sweaters at times), but I was told that was unusual for that late in May. Probably mid-to high 60’s, but it was also a bit cloudy, so that didn’t help. We were quite comfortable walking around though. Ironicallly, Switzerland (during the same trip) was warmer than we expected. jester

This coming May we will be going around the same time period (actually a week earlier), so I will let you know how the weather is this time around. It’s a bit of a conflict for us traveling in May - - not warm enough to swim in the lake, yet not too hot where we’d be uncomfortable hiking around. I hate hiking in the heat. We try to avoid the summer crowds and prices when we can. If I could plan the perfect trip, I’d prefer more toward mid-June or late September. We were hoping to make this upcoming trip for mid-June, but our daughter’s wedding took precedence. Decisions, decisions. grin grin

You are a wonderful writer. I almost can’t wait until you go away again, just so I can follow your meanderings. Thanks again for sharing.

Robin & Ed

One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. - Henry Miller