I thought I would put a few thoughts in here, as always: reading entirely optional! TLDR warning.

Last fall, ahead of our November trip, I developed a temporary neurological condition that made it inadvisable to drink alcohol. Though that is since resolved, it ended up extending into a voluntary indefinite pause on any drinking.

So I went into the November trip with some trepidation. There is so much emphasis on the beach bars, painkillers, sundowners, etc... what if the BVI without alcohol just wouldn't be (as) fun?

On our 9th "dry" week in the BVI I'm happy to report that neither of us feels this way. The islands are just as beautiful and I won't say I don't miss the cocktails and cold beers, but there are some payoffs and there is increased focus on other activities ( diving, photography ). If I have a clumsy fall, screw something up or say something I regret, at least I can be sure that alcohol was not a factor.

We're not remotely full time cruisers, but we sail enough that I have from time to time questioned the sustainablity of living the party lifestyle 3-4 weeks at a time several times a year. (No judgement!)

Hope this doesn't offend anyone or come across as off-topic or inappropriately personal, just felt compelled to share this with my TTOL friends - perhaps in case someone else finds themselves in a similar situation.

Will add more traditional trip notes soon.

M4000 "Lio Kai"