There is a back story on the recent east end STJ murder in the most remote house on the island. He had something to hide from.

We visited the USVI/BVI five times this year and three times last year, always starting and ending on St. Thomas. Never did we feel threatened or in danger. Rather, as we've gotten to know more people like LocalSailor we've gotten more aware of where to go, rather than where not to go.

We have no problem at all in French Town and East End on St. Thomas at night and never a problem on St. John in the USVI.

No pollyana here, to avoid crime we practice normal safe behavior. We lock our boat/condo/villa doors at night and when we're away and secure our valuables. We stay out of dark corners and don't take walks with strangers. I'm not suggesting you would do this, but seeking anything illicit is a good way to get in trouble. If you go looking for trouble it may find you. I also carry no more cash than I am willing to hand over. Basically the same common sense we practice here at home in DC.

Mace? Sounds like a fast way to escalate an unfortunate situation.

Cheers, RickG

S/V Echoes, 2003 Beneteau 423
Grenada