Regarding the question of how someone could get $4000.00 in one day.... It depends in what the daily withdrawal limit is on the card. You can have a limit in the thousand's per day, at least here in Canada you can. Also, the limit resets at midnight. So you can withdraw the limit at 11:55 p.m., wait a few minutes until the calendar ticks over and pull out the limit again.

Curious about Canuck Travlrs comment about paying foreign exchange fees for purchasing US dollars. Are you referring to the exchange rate or are you paying an an additional fee on top of that for the purchase? I am a retiree from one of the Big Five Canadian banks and do not pay any additional fees for the purchase of US cash, just the exchange rate, which, for staff and retirees, is lower than the rate to the public. I have never paid any bank fees, ever, either as a working staff member or as a retiree.

Also, I think I have mentioned this before re getting US cash in Canada - the exchange rate is usually lower if you withdraw US cash at an ATM that provides that service. The rate is reduced due to the fact that counter staff don't have to handle the transaction.