Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
crmoorse-- I can deal with petty crime, but people getting KILLED on resort grounds is out of bounds.

The vast majority of shootings in the Riviera Maya are in the tourist zones where the $$$ is (Cancun, PDC, Tulum). Cartel,after cartel, or cartel after businesses.
There was one resort shooting a few years back, but that was a Canadian (if I recall) gangster who infiltrated the resort area to assassinate another Canadian gangster staying at the resort.

I’ve not closely followed the crime news from SXM, but the violence reported by others is not petty crime…It’s a shame…

CaribbeanCanadians not sure how you came to the conclusion it is “not safe at all” driving here if you’ve not done that? Based on reports from other new visitors who did little research?
We’ve driven the Riviera Maya for 20+ years, daily for the last 8, with no problems. As with anywhere you just need to research an area to understand any risks…I’ve had problems with arrogant cops on St Martin and Grand Cayman, and I’m sure there are some corrupt cops here too…

"Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life — and travel — leaves marks on you.”
-Anthony Bourdain