While I agree with most of what you say JDK, There are other perspectives to consider. You mention that the owners were gracious enough to share their units, but you don't acknowledge the financial contribution that those who rented the units made to the cost of owning a unit in the first place. Your comment would make a lot more sense if they(the owners) were not charging a reasonable price for staying there.

Also, In my 40+ years of experience in the business world(including a lot in the income producing property space) that I have learned is that in the absence of information, people will always assume the worst. If the problem is the French Government, why not say so? If the problem is the cost of reconstruction verses the insurance proceeds that were paid, why not say so? If the problem is the owners and the management company cannot agree, why not say so? Or whatever other issue that has been speculated about. It's not like a simple statement about the current situation is going to have any effect on whatever happens to the property in the future. I don't think anyone expects a detailed report on the issues...There is just a lot of genuine curiosity because so many former patrons have an emotional attachment to the memories.

One last thing... Tell all those owners thanks for the memories! Cheers!