Agree that his comment about eliminating points of failure was a bit odd. I THINK he was trying to defend himself against accusations of just going out and winging it but yeah, I think it was phrased poorly.

I actually didn't watch the full video where he lost steering and was using only his engines to steer. Was this (the grounding) the same trip and he was out there still with no rudder?

He did say he did have permission from the owner to use the ball when he stayed there without incident the previous week. It's unclear whether the owner knew the size of the boat but I would think, if the ball was only safe for smaller boats, the owner would ask what size he was. I don't know the where the restaurant is in relation to the ball - can the owner see the balls and what size boat is on them?

This incident really does drive home a dilemma (for me anyway) - pick up a ball or anchor. Some places (like Cooper I think?) you have no choice as no anchoring is allowed. Sounds like it's challenging at Norman because of the depth maybe? But, it also seems like it might be safer in general to anchor rather than take a ball. I know in St. Martin, on our last few charters there (pre storm), The Moorings started advising use to NOT use the balls because they are so poorly maintained.

Here's a question: When you do pick up a ball, do you back down on it like you do when testing your anchor set? Seems like WH might have avoided his grounding if he had tested the tackle.