This was my 1st time back since 3/17 – pre Irma. I own at the Flamingo so that was closed for the rebuild, then Covid, then Don’s health stopped us from traveling. The return was bitter sweet as it was without Don (he died last April). Lots of good memories and quite a few sad moments also. But I’m glad I went back to recapture the magic and remember how much we enjoyed our time on the island. I didn’t take any notes cuz I had no plans to write this but I’ve written one every year since 1998 so here’s my best recollections.

Trip down was on Delta – FF tickets. I overnight in Atlanta both ways. Both trips were fine. PJIA is as written but not as bad as I expected. Delta check in was sweatless, the Delta kiosks were great and really fast, even tho some people had to open their 4 suitcases to pull stuff out Yikes – buy a luggage scale please

I thought the Flamingo did a great job with their rebuild. We have a 2 bedroom lockout villa and it was in great shape. The couple of things I noted, I called and they were there the same day to fix them. My only complaint is that they do not have enough umbrellas/palapas on either beach. They cut the number way back and it was difficult to get an umbrella unless it was 6am.

My brother, SIL, and nephew came down from DC as they have done for years. We were at the Flamingo beach a couple of days but primarily went to Orient Beach – Le String, Aloha, The Pirate. Beach was cleaned, water was fabulous. We had our best lunches and drinks at Le String. But Aloha does make a mean gin and tonic.

Went out on the Random Wind – the crew did a nice job but it was crowded and hot and humid.

Also flew in early to go out on the Tango for the Saturday Regatta. Really love being so up close to the sailing. Had a great morning!

Dinners were pretty low key – if we ate a late lunch we didn’t do dinner but we did manage to make it to Marks more than once, Skipjacks (a pass next year kinda mediocre), Pineapple Pete’s (seems like this place has gone downhill a bit – my grouper was OK but not as good as I remember). Roma’s was excellent as was Holland House. We hit up Pizza Italy twice (think that was the name) and I liked their pizza. So not the kind of dining I did with Don but my brother and SIL aren’t into the food experience like we were.

Went shopping in P’burg and did major damage at DK Gems – both Martha and I had a great time. Pete was sitting there bored, and he was offered another beer and responded that his 3 beers so far only cost him $5000 each and he wasn’t sure he could afford another one. Everyone in the store loved that comment.

I didn’t reach out to any of the March folks – wasn’t sure how I was going to feel my 1st time back without Don but I will next year. And I will practice transferring pics so I can post while I’m there – tried once, epic fail, but will succeed next year!

Really enjoyed my 2+ weeks, have already used Destination Xchange for Week 8 so will have a total of 3 weeks next year.

MB