The last time we did a charter (crewed & provisions), the broker asked if we wanted to include the tip up front so we would not have to deal with the cash at the end. It was a big cat; there were 4 couples.

I didn’t want to do it that way, preferring to have cash set aside (15%-20%) to give to the captain and crew at the end. My wife and I always bring pen and paper to write a personal note to the crew that we include in the envelope. If the crew/service is exceptional, we give the 20%. If it’s sort of perfunctory, we give 15%.

Doing the tip up front is bad, I think, because the crew already knows how they’ll be compensated. On the charter last year, we thanked them, gave ‘em an additional $100, and told them to go out to eat somewhere. They were Ok, but I never felt like they were trying very hard. I felt more like we were in a bed and breakfast. There was not a lot of going the extra mile(knot?).

We usually go with the same group, and I will *not* prepay the tip again unless I’m absolutely forced to. What say you?

Bill on Daniel Island