On head usage, make sure they are aware of using holding tank while at anchorage and emptying it once away from the shore. Watched a Bavaria grab a mooring ball in Little Harbour in Feb while a crew member flushed the still open valved head down below. Sewage everywhere and a very vocal and pissed skipper chewing out his crew/guests.

I might suggest everyone be aware of some basics non-sailing duties -- everybody expected to help keep the boat clean, prepare a meal (or two). Sometimes this works well when done in teams. This is a sailing trip not a cruise.

Is everybody getting their own cabin or are you sharing bunks? Is someone expected to sleep in the main salon? Make sure everyone is aware of this as the cabins can be small.

No yelling at the newbies. I'm no flogging captain but, by God, I've sailed with some!! Did my basic with my wife and 2 others 16 years ago and the instructor yelled at my wife on day 3. Led to the coldest four days on record in the BVIs. To her credit, the instructor did not find the anchor tied to his ankle and slipping while on the foredeck. It led to a complete lack of interest for her in sailing after that.

Some of the newbies will be more interested in others. Don't get pissed at them if they are more interested in getting to the next bar then tightening the sheets to get an extra quarter knot of speed.

If there are two of you that can manage most of the serious stuff, the others will join in at their own pace. Let them guide themselves into how much they want to participate.

cs