I think before we go nutz about this, someone with some environmental engineering skills, if there is anyone, and local knowledge should speak up.

First, let me say, I'm not in favor of overboard discharge of black water accept under very strict circumstances. I do know that yachts, in general, are not the major source of water pollution. Politically they are an easy target but the reality is, as I understand it, yachtsman are a very small contributor, if they even contribute at all, to E. Coli pollution of the world's waters. There are a ton of other water pollutants but E. Coli and all the Coliform species attendant to a direct discharge from a head or from holding tanks aboard a yacht are the one's we're discussing if I understand this thread.

Of course, there might be exceptions to this sweeping statement and I acknowledge that. For example, the discharge of Black Water in slow moving harbors where a lot of yachts might be moored or docked is clearly unacceptable.

I have heard that the BVI with the high water circulation attendant to the environs of the Drake Channel are not particularly susceptible to E. Coli pollution to the extent that the concentration gets high enough to pose a treat.

OTH, I don't know for sure if the BVI government is just being lazy about introducing environmental measures that should have been introduced. I'm pretty sure there is no significant restrictions to discharging Black Water and from what I understand, its just common sense ..... obviously, don't do it in a crowded anchorage; wait instead until you are a good ways away then have at it.

I'm also unaware of any pump out stations that don't just "recycle" the sewage right back in to the local sea water after, maybe, some treatment with chemicals but to what degree and under what regulations, I have no idea. Nor am I aware that land based sewage treatment is as Pvreg describes. I think its treated pretty thoroughly before it is discharged. Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe someone else with local knowledge about BVI sewage treatment in general can enlighten us here.

Bottom line, this may a pretty complex problem worth worrying about or not worth worrying about. I'd like more information before we post a list of charter companies who may not encourage the use of Holding Tanks.