Carol and Pat,

Yes the tenders are still running when needed, but nothing like years ago. As I sit on the balcony at our Divi unit that faces P'Burg I get views of the new pier and the large ships. Years ago the view was of the ships dropping anchor and then moving in parallel swings during the day and all passengers would line up and wait for the bouncy boats (tenders). A few years ago, after the new pier was built, I saw some tenders going around the point at Divi and wondered where they were coming from. A couple of weeks earlier than our arrival I saw a story on morning tv about the new Queen Mary 2 when she was in NYC and being shown off. Since I couldn't see where the tenders were going to and coming from, I hiked up the hill to the Fort and then I saw the QM 2 and let out a big laugh. Those folks paid a dear price for the cruise and they ended up being the farthest from P'Burg.
Even with the double piers, on busy days some ships drop anchor and even the same when there appears to be room for them. I suspect contracts or Port fees or scheduled leaving times.
I never get tired of watching them enter and leave.