RonDon said:
RaleighToSXM said:

I think Kim has a very strong point, and that is the passenger count is being allowed to grow way past what the island can handle. But I wouldn't lay blame with the cruise lines.

The cruise lines keep building bigger & bigger ships thus more & more people aboard getting off ship. I think that's a darn good reason to blame them!

Rosemary,

Generally speaking, we are often very much in agreement with each other regarding most things SXM, but on this one point I disagree. Regardless of the size of the cruise liners out there, the island should have the ultimate right to limit the size (in people) of ships allowed portage and they should absolutely exercise that right.

We've been behind those huge buses trying to navigate through the narrow streets of Grand Case along with some of the steeper hills around the island and we often see the chaos created in the Sunset Bar and Grill area because of the cruise line passengers and taxis and buses servicing them while blocking the roads for people who actually live and work in that immediate area, not to mention the lack of beach space which forces so many to traverse the areas roads or walk the top of the small retaining wall with beverages in hand. It becomes potentially very unsafe for everyone.

Many of the smaller islands do this although usually based upon port depths and docking facilities and I believe Marigot does allow small cruise ships only for whatever their reasons.

And again, I have no argument for or against cruise ship passengers, but the possibility of six or seven ships including some of those huge behemoths and the huge numbers of guests make me glad I can hide away on those days here in my quiet little corner. My argument would be with the government for allowing such a huge saturation without providing them safe conditions while here.

I'm certainly no cruise expert but just because they build it, doesn't mean it has to be welcomed.

Last edited by pat; 12/05/2015 02:00 PM.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."