wilsonck said:
islandgem said:
I agree our dollar is at an all time low.

It was worse back in 97/98. I remember the CAD being worth 64 cents US. But the all time low is just under 62 cents us back in 2002.[/quote]

Oh please, don't remind me of those years (we were in SXM for both)! And younger then too, so on a tighter budget as well.

Here is how we made that loonie go further then, tips that should still work today ... we always ate breakfast on our balcony (and still do, not for the $$, more from habit and for convenience, and you can't beat that view!). Half of a fresh baguette with fruit and cheese suited us just fine and left the other half to make sandwiches with for the beach that day with deli meat we had picked up.

Grabbed stuff at the grocery store for quick and easy meals in - we actually used to take a brand new small BBQ ($20 at Canadian Tire on sale) with us (just pack it in your suitcase and fill it up with clothes, really doesn't take that much more room) pick up a propane bottle at ACE (less than $10) and grill away (fresh fish, chicken, pork). We always left the BBQ for our maid each year and each one was very happy because they told us they could then take them to the beach on Sundays with their families. A Win Win situation! Similar but an easier option is to bring home roti chicken or stay at a resort that has their own grills.

We ate out at nice restaurants sometimes at lunch hour (same food, less cost), scouted around for reasonable nights out and only did the big splurge evening once or twice in a three week trip.

While those years are now a distant memory, I loved my time there every bit as much as I do today when we can afford to spend the day at Palm Beach or Dreams and eat a delicious lunch and enjoy a bottle of wine.

And don't be too concerned about the 1:1 euro:dollar idea. Calculate your FINAL cost and see if you think the price is fair for the value you receive. 1:1 is great marketing, but can also be a trap.

You WILL be able to make some adjustments that will help with the hit on the dollar and not reduce your enjoyment of the island!

LeAnn

url=https://www.tickerfactory.com][Linked Image][/url]