I have chartered most available cats over the past 20 years (Leopards and Lagoons of various sizes, models, etc) and for me, far and away the Lagoon 450 w the flybridge has been the best suited, whether w my family or adult friends. I never took to the off center cockpit helm. I was therefore very interested in the new Helia 44 which attempts to blend the best of both styles. Last week I had the opportunity and came away less than impressed. First off, hat tip to CYOA, CaptnJay, Twanger and Dawnp for their assistance with the trip itself; however, this review is about the boat. The boats systems were first rate. The Onan generator, the water and ice maker, touch screen chartplotter, electric davit winch, made for a comfortable and convenient voyage. I will note that the conditions were less than ideal but that is when a boat should shine. With a fresher than normal trade wind and short steep sea, the boat was challenged. It certainly was capable but for some poor design reason, every single wave to windward outside the FDC found its way to the helmsman's face. Mind you that is a good 6 feet above sea level!! I dont mean every once in a while, I mean every single wave within 30 degrees off the wind. Without a dodger it was extremely frustrating. Even the seating area next to the helm and higher up was soaked making the rest of the crew stay in the sheltered? cockpit. I question sheltered bc w the open helm area wind swept rain found its way into the aft cockpit often. When conditions permitted, I will say that the lounge and additional seating area were indeed pluses over traditional cats, but still less functional and comfortable than the Lagoon flybrige. I similarly, found the access and angles to the winches and lines awkward and less than efficient comparatively. I recognize that all large charter cruising cats have tremendous loads in 25+ kts but again the sharp angles necessary to direct all lines to one side add to this. For some reason, the boat had a electric halyard winch but I was told the owner wanted it disabled?? This made raising the main exhausting. I am a fit 50 yr old and doubt I could handle it in 5-10 years. I also missed any front seating. At anchor, it is nice to sit in the front of the boat instead of the cockpit.
Inside, we had the owners version and I was blown away at the size and comfort of the cabins. One can not say that sailing this boat is roughing it smile. In the salon, the seatee did NOT have a dining table but opted for a coffee style lower table. While it opening up the area, it became a serious flaw if it was raining outside. Twice, we could not eat at the cockpit table due to the weather and had to either sit on the floor or hold the plates in our laps for dinner. The table should convert so the user can have it either way. Like many Euro boats, there were also a number of sharp corners that a signficant seaway tends to put bruises on you. Dont misjudge my criticisms - this was a impressive boat in paradise and we all had a great time. But we all charter for different reasons and try and find the right boat for each of us. I was excited that the Helia 44 might have all the Lagoon 450 had, plus more and better performance. My conclusion is that it was not. Hope this is helpful.