"it is impossible to compare air service of Tortola with Bermuda"

That may be true but it is what it is. Across the Caribbean islands are improving their air services to allow visitors and residents easy ingress and egress. That is much more than just price. There are more and more who will not go to a place that they cannot stand up and directly go to the airport and fly back to home or work. Finance and business is much more complicated. Investors demand access for lawyers and outside auditors. Any type of ferry will not cut it for some travelers. Cuba already has +/-3 Million visitors a year. As Cuba comes online and the DR grows some markets will be left way behind. Many get that and are raising the quality of their offers. Just like when Walmart and Home Depot showed up there will be big losers, some survivors, and some winners. The BVI and/or the joint USVI/BVI will need to pick a niche they will adapt to. Maybe St. Thomas builds a massive hurricane proof harbor that markets to the bareboat industry? Some joint easing of the C&I would be a plus. Just as a no C&I ferry terminal at STT would be a plus. Get off your plane ride to the government contracted ferry where your bags are already tagged to and get dropped at St. John, Tortola, or Virgin Gorda.

Shortly St. Vincent will open their $240 Million 9,000 foot runway. East Coast US flight times will be less than five hours.

“Building the airport involved the astounding removal of three mountains, 134 homes, a church, a cemetery and the filling of two valleys,” said Prime Minister Dr. Honourable Ralph Gonsalves

Cuba by the way has 24 runways greater than 5,000 feet.

I suspect many in Tortola are listening and find themselves trapped in a future for their kids they do not like and certainly cannot control without a competitive runway. Sadly St. Thomas see the BVI as the competition. Note St. Croix is starving out there.