To Glenn's point below, I asked this question to our server a couple of weeks ago. She also explained that the added service fee was to be distributed to all of the staff (dishwashers, etc.), but it wasn't specifically her tip. She was nice about it and happy that I added about 5% extra for her. When I start to split hairs about this, I remind myself of how many times I tip someone in the US $1-5 for simply opening a couple of beers for me at the bar - and rarely with a smile.

GlennA said:
For everyone's information: Acording to the BVI Labor Code of 2010 any gratuity added as a percentage of the bill has to be distributed to ALL the employees less taxes and an administration fee not to exceed 7.5%. For any restaurant with more than 5 employees, how it is distributed is set by a committtee of the employees.

My basic rule is to just pay the service fee if poor service, add 5% in cash directly to the server for good service and maybe 7 or 8% for exceptional service. For truly crappy service I scratch off the service fee and complain to the manager. Fortunately I have only resorted to that once.

~~~~_/)~~~~
"The TTOL Member Map Guy"
TTOL Member Map
TTOL Member Map Form