ScurvyD said:
We are in the early stages of planning a BVI bareboat charter. Im a planner. For ease of cooking and eating dinner ashore, what types of meals, lunches, breakfast do you guys have? What sorts of things do you bring down in a checked bag/ice chest?

We are always land based but I am the planner/shopper and cook of the family and I am used to cooking in a kitchen tinier than the size of one found on the small sailboat.

When we take a cooler, all my proteins serve double duty, I cook twice as much so one cooking session = two meals.

Adding to the above chicken mention, grilled chicken for dinner and the leftovers served cold for lunch the next day - chicken salad, added to a pasta salad, sliced/diced for sandwiches or warmed as taco or burrito fillings. I like the large, split bone-in breasts for vacation cooking.

For beef, I like cuts like a tenderloin, flank or skirt steak that slices well and is as good cold the next day as an addition to a salad, on its own with a creamy Dijon/horseradish sauce. Again, makes a good taco/burrito filling.

As far as starches go - rices, especially wild brown and black rice, is very tasty at room temp (we eat on the beach). If we make a pasta at night, the left overs get tossed with leftover veggies for a pasta salad.

Creole style rice mixes like Zataran's are a great way to use up leftover sausage, shrimp, chicken and veggies.

I plan the meals at home. All meats are vac-packed and frozen solid. I portion out whatever spices I need into small bags and tape the spices and the recipe to the top of the meat. I have two master lists - one for the provisioning company and one for on-island purchases.

I do all this for time savings. If I have room for a couple of boxes of wild rice, nuts, etc I will take that along. If not, I add the dry items to the provisioning list.

Precooking bacon, sausage, ground beef, as mentioned above, is a huge time saver and keeps the kitchen cool. My home cottage kitchen has no A/C, no window and no exhaust fan so I learned long ago how to cook the easy way in the summer!