SandS said:
How do you get caught when I understand that jewelers will send your receipt and appraisal to your home? I'm asking in all honesty not from personal experience.

IF you are asked about purchases and the value of said purchases you are supposed to give an honest answer. Where a receipt is mailed to would have nothing to do with anything.

I am not into telling someone to do something that could possibly get them in trouble. The original poster asked a question. It is up to them what they tell Customs officers but I will assure you, nobody is responsible except the person answering the questions about purchases and value. They can do what they want but doing something that could be illegal can possibly have consequences. This is one of the problems with believing everything you read on the internet.

Many times, if one is honest they will be waived through without incident. You buy something that costs $10,000 and then try to get by with possibly avoiding $300 in duty?? It COULD cost one a whole lot more than the $300 IF things go wrong. If they can afford the $10,000 to begin with, what is another $300??

J.D.