Hey All -

Not sure if anyone remembers me, but my husband and I crewed on a family charter in 2014, did ASA 101 locally, ASA 103/104 in BVI last month on a Beneteau 51, and just joined a sailing club near our home. The boats we will be sailing on our own this summer are Catalina 27s.

The boat we charted for November is a Bavaria 46 through Horizon. I guess I am worried that they won't like the fact that we aren't sailing boats closer to the size of my charter boat and that my anxiety will come through and we won't seem confident to charter the boat. We will have 5 total adults on the boat - myself and my husband, 2 experienced crew, and 1 sailing newbie.

Has anyone ever did so poorly on the check out that they assign you a skipper? It's just so much money for this trip - and we have no space other than the salon table for another person. I wouldn't go on this trip if I knew I'd need a skipper - but how do you break out into chartering on your own if you don't have access to bigger boats to practice on.

Any thoughts appreciated - thanks!