Member Spotlight
OrientBeach_jimbeach
OrientBeach_jimbeach
New Smyrna Beach
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ejb8910, periwinkle, SANFILIP
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (michaelj, lhbsurf, Mikel, 2 invisible), 900 guests, and 147 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip Report - June 13 - June 22 #101771
06/30/2016 06:05 PM
06/30/2016 06:05 PM
Arizona
nibs Offline OP
Traveler
nibs  Offline OP
Traveler
Arizona
Carol asked for a trip report so here it is – hopefully, not too boring…..
We flew out of Phoenix at 11:15pm on June 13th on American Airlines, connecting through Charlotte, NC. We left right on time and arrive a few minutes early. Left Charlotte right on time and arrived in St Martin right on time on June 14th. The older we get, the tougher it is to get to the Caribbean from Phoenix. The trip both ways is tough. The good news was that all our flights were pretty much on time or even a few minutes early except the last leg coming home, which was about 45 minutes late, waiting for the plane to get there from New York.

We rented our car through Alain Arnell of AAA Car Rental again and hooked up right after getting our bags and going through customs and immigration. We had a small Nissan that reminded me of a Versa but was called something else. It was a little newer than what we usually get and didn’t have as many dings as we like . We had not been to the island for 8 years and our first surprise was the new Causeway that really seemed to take some time off the trip to Grand Case. Also, that awful roundabout in Marigot was no more, to our delight. As a matter of fact, we thought traffic controls were much improved this trip.
We usually stay at Le Petit but since we had another person with us, we stayed at the Grand Case Beach Club for the first time. We had a two bedroom/two ½ bath condo that was ocean front. There were fresh flowers and a bottle of wine left in the room when we checked in. We had taken the advice of the forum and ordered some things through Shop N Drop so that we wouldn’t have to go to the grocery store the first day. Everything was stocked when we checked in and we were very pleased. We got there before check-in time so we went to the Sunset Café and had a little lunch then were able to immediately check in to our room. The condo was very clean and had lots of room for us. The kitchen had basically everything we needed, but it was a challenge to figure out the stove, fridge, microwave and oven. We loved the balcony off the master bedroom as well as the patio outside the first floor.
We were so exhausted from the trip that we didn’t even do any dinner the first night, just some snacks and drinks and were all in bed early.
Wednesday – We went to the Super U in Marigot in the late morning and bought everything we needed for the rest of the week and also stopped by the bakery in the center and bought some yummy breakfast items as well as some sandwiches and baguettes. We just stayed at the resort Wednesday afternoon and hung out at the beach there. It was very nice. We got some floats and snorkeling gear from the water sports onsite and found chairs and umbrellas that were vacant. That evening we walked into Grand Case and since it was almost sunset we decided to eat at Le Tastevin, which was a mistake. Although the food was ok, the service was lousy. After waiting almost 35 minutes for more water and the dessert menu, we gave up and left. Not a great way to spend almost $200.
Thursday – our friend wanted to stay at the hotel so Jeff and I went to Happy Bay. Instead of driving and parking at Friar’s Bay we used the directions posted on the forum and found it a much easier walk. For the first time there was someone on the beach selling drinks and food, but we had brought sandwiches and a bottle of wine. Very enjoyable! That night we cooked at the condo.
Friday – Went to Orient Beach. We rented chairs and umbrellas at Le String for $10, which included a drink. We had lunch there too and really enjoyed it. Free wifi from Aloha next door. They are really friendly there and the bartender was very cute and flirty. We had a couple of rum shots before we left. I had read about the changes at Orient Beach and we talked to the owner at Le String too. She said that it was much more expensive to rent and that they had issues with all the delays, etc. It does seem that each place is customizing so it was better than I expected. I was surprised to see how there was no beach at all in front of Pedro’s and it was closed that day too. Friday evening we went into Grand Case again and ate at Sky’s the Limit with some friends from home who are there for a month. Really good food and prices. I had ribs, chicken and 3 sides and I think it was about $15. 1/1.
Saturday – Saturday morning we went to the Marigot Market and bought a bunch of stuff. Then we went to SSBG for lunch and to show our friend the planes taking off and landing, which was a big hit. We could tell it had been remodeled and it was packed. Parking was free if you had a receipt, which they kept when you left. That evening we decided to stay at the GCBC and ate at the Sunset Grill. The food and service were fantastic and we were really impressed.
Sunday – We had booked a trip to Tintamarre and Anguilla with the water sports company at the hotel. It was lovely-only about 13 people and we snorkeled with the turtles at Tintamarre and then went to Anguilla and had lunch and visited two beaches. We ended the day with a stop at Happy Bay. That evening we went to Talk of the Town. Half a lobster and 2 sides for $25! Can’t do much better than that.
Monday – Went to Orient again and again rented from Le String. Much more crowded than before. That evening we cooked at home.
Tuesday – We went to our favorite place, Happy Bay, again. It was really windy and rainstorms off and on. Enjoyed sandwiches and wine again on the beach. Unfortunately, when we got back to the condo, the safe deposit key was missing from Jeff’s things-I’m sure it’s at Happy Bay. We had to get the safe deposit drilled and lost our deposit. Oh well, if that was the worst thing that happened all week then we’re ok with that. That evening we ate at La Villa. Our favorite meal during our trip. 1/1, wonderful service and the food to die for. We each had the prix fixe meal for $49. The thing that impressed me the most was that one had the choice of the entire menu for the meal with the exception of the lobster. Usually there are a choice of two or 3 things, but not here. Jeff had the filet, I had the rack of lamb and our friend had a chicken. The waiter was so entertaining and everyone was wonderful. What a way to end our trip.
Wednesday, left on American to Charlotte again and back in Phoenix about 1am.

nibs
SXM Sponsors
Re: Trip Report - June 13 - June 22 [Re: nibs] #101772
06/30/2016 06:32 PM
06/30/2016 06:32 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Doesn't sound boring at all! Thanks for the report!

Carol Hill
Re: Trip Report - June 13 - June 22 [Re: nibs] #101773
06/30/2016 08:07 PM
06/30/2016 08:07 PM
Portland, OR
jazzgal Offline
Traveler
jazzgal  Offline
Traveler
Portland, OR
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for posting!

[Linked Image]
Re: Trip Report - June 13 - June 22 [Re: nibs] #101774
06/30/2016 08:13 PM
06/30/2016 08:13 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
It sounds like a wonderful trip to me. We loved our stay at GCBC, short though it was since we had only tacked 3-4 days onto our timeshare stay, but we also found the food and service at the Sunset Cafe to be very good and the entire property was lovely and the staff delightful. But I never did master the stove..... though I gave it the old college try!

Thank you so much for sharing your trip - the reports have been few and far between of late - and I'm truly glad your return was a good one.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Trip Report - June 13 - June 22 [Re: nibs] #101775
06/30/2016 09:19 PM
06/30/2016 09:19 PM
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
islandgem Offline
Traveler
islandgem  Offline
Traveler
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Nice report!Thanks for posting.

Re: Trip Report - June 13 - June 22 [Re: pat] #101776
06/30/2016 09:53 PM
06/30/2016 09:53 PM
Arizona
nibs Offline OP
Traveler
nibs  Offline OP
Traveler
Arizona
Yes, trial and error but we finally got all 3 working. Talk about feeling stupid

Re: Trip Report - June 13 - June 22 [Re: nibs] #101777
06/30/2016 10:02 PM
06/30/2016 10:02 PM
Arizona
nibs Offline OP
Traveler
nibs  Offline OP
Traveler
Arizona
I just realized that I cut off the end of the report. Some last thoughts were that we walked to dinner every time and never felt unsafe. Other than the idiot mopeds, driving was much easier. GCBC gave us a gift certificate to the onsite gift shop, which was lovely. We had the included breakfast every day and sometimes took it back to the condo and supplemented it with eggs and bacon. Lastly, thanks to all that gave us directions to return the car.

nibs
Re: Trip Report - June 13 - June 22 [Re: nibs] #101778
06/30/2016 10:43 PM
06/30/2016 10:43 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
EdB Offline
Traveler
EdB  Offline
Traveler
Boynton Beach, FL
GREAT report.... you hit some of our favorite places including Le String.....we spend at least half the time there....great people...and excellent food. I think they make the best BBC on the island!!! Also, Le Villa is fabulous, my fave is the fillet as well, and the 49 dollar price fix is the best buy on the island. And you mentioned Talk of the Town Lolo.....our fave on Grand Case. Next time you go.....check out Piazza Pascal down a bit from LaVilla...you also will LOVE it there too. smile

Re: Trip Report - June 13 - June 22 [Re: nibs] #101779
07/01/2016 12:14 AM
07/01/2016 12:14 AM
Arizona
M
marybeth Offline
Traveler
marybeth  Offline
Traveler
M
Arizona
That trip from AZ is a killer, isn't it? We leave from Tucson so have to overnight coming & going so it's not as tiring as your journey. Nice trip report and thanks so much for posting.

MB
Re: Trip Report - June 13 - June 22 [Re: marybeth] #101780
07/01/2016 07:06 AM
07/01/2016 07:06 AM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline
Traveler
RonDon  Offline
Traveler
Rhode Island
GCBC is our favorite place and the Cafe is great! Dodo, the maitre D is a hoot.

Re: Trip Report - June 13 - June 22 [Re: nibs] #101781
07/01/2016 09:37 PM
07/01/2016 09:37 PM
St Louis, MO
SXMNorm Offline
Traveler
SXMNorm  Offline
Traveler
St Louis, MO
Thanks for taking time to post a report. Enjoyed the read.

Next SXM visit -November 2023. Also January 2024.