Well it's wake up time in Unions Clifton Harbor, and it starts just like every other

morning. Hot Coffee ready in the galley, and a tasty breakfast. We're off to the Tobago Cays

and then on to Mayreu today and that sounds just great. First however we need to some

shopping, as Pt. Martinique was closed on Sunday for provisioning. It's interesting what we

find, there's a set of produce stands just in from the dinghy dock, there must be 6 of them

or so, along with a lady selling tee's. Each stand offers a little something different.

Between them all, you'll probably fill all of your short term produce needs. This is also

when we first got to see lia's negotiating skills. She's a pro...Rick saved some money

today. A visit to the grocery stores was not so fruitful. I don't know if it's because of

the offseason or not, but they were poorly stocked.We did however, secure some

necessities...read beer.
I was first ( and only) on Union about 15 years ago. At that time, it seemed to be a

"tougher" island. A bit more hardscrabble than it's neighbors. Well, they've cleaned up the

main stret and surrounding areas very well. I actually hit an ATM here and felt safe. It

wouldn't have been that way in the past. We strolled past the fish market, and there was

some activity. A blue marlin had been caught and they were cutting up some good sized hunks

and putting them on scale, way more than we would have bought. We skipped it, and figured

"catch of the day" at a local establishment might be best. Off to the Tobago Cays.
The sail over is easy until we get to the close approach, it gets a little shallow

coming in here. Rick navigates it perfectly. Next thing we know, we're anchored in the

Tobago Cays. The greatest quote of the week came from David at this point. With a deep

exhale, David looks up an says "holy crap!...............I should've boned up on more

adjectives". This is a seriously beautiful spot. "Electric" turquise water reaching to just

perfect little white sand beaches,all with lush green hills rising behind them. There's only

a couple of other boats anchored with us as it's the slow season, I would imagine it gets to

be packed in season. All of which makes our experience that much better! We snorkled a bit

and then hit the beach. While doing some exploring I came upon a shirt vendor with his

shirts hanging between two palms. This my idea of doing some shopping. I make a couple of

additions to my wardrobe but as I had snorkled to the beach, no money. As is the island

custom, the reply I get is "no problem mon, I bring dem to de boat". A leisurely swim takes

me back to the boat. We break out some snacks and start our pre-happy hour, happy hour. Sure

enough, up pulls the shirt guy with my stuff and the deal is consumated. That's good

service! UPS has nothing on these guys. You could easily spend a couple of days here, but

we're moving on Mayreau.
It's a comfortable ride over and we anchor in Saltwistle Bay. David was right,

because at this pont, I'm running low on adjectives. Just another spectacular spot. When you

envision the quintessential Caribbean bay, this is it. I count 11 other boats at anchor,

which from what I understand,is as close to empty as you'll find it. While we're waiting on

what would turn out to be another glorious sunset, a boat vendor aproaches. Rick asks him if

he can get us a taxi. Arrangements are made for us to be on shore at a given time. The time

comes, we dinghy in, and you guessed it, no taxi. Sitting just off the beach however, is a

diesel flatbed working truck. Rick asks if he's our taxi, the guy gives him a funny look and

says, "where you goin mon?" We tell him Dennis' for dinner. The simple answer is "20 EC

mon". Well, it's not planes, trains and automobiles, but I suppose I could have titled the

trip report; boats, trucks, and golf carts. Actually, it's kind of fun getting dropped off

at a retaurant in the back of a flatbed. It was an international mix at the bar and we made

sure North America held up it's end . A very tasty meal was had although the waitress gave

my new island shirt a thumbs down......those French have no sense of style. Now comes the

tricky part, walking up and over that BIG hill and back to the dinghy.
As we start our trek, Dennis the owner hands us a couple of cold ones for the

walk, and off we go. We don't get 50 yards up the street, and low and behold there it is,

the flatbed! Nobody seemed to be around except for a guy standing on his back porch brushing

his teeth. Is that your truck man? Where you goin' mon? Over the hill. 20 EC mon. God, love

the this place works! Over the hill and back on board, we turn in and get ready for the sail to

Bequia. Up next Bequia.......