Trip Report 12/5-12/19

Happy New Year to all. As always I want to thank those who contributed to the forum, particularly those who are kind and gentle to persons who disagree with themselves.
Over the past year I believe the forum has become a bit too personal to some and I hope it does not drive away others who are such valuable contributors. Our disputes over crime, rental cars and how to freeze Gouda sometimes seem repetitive to us but they are not to newbies just learning the website. Also please remember that some of us for personal reasons cannot always log in, about half my posts are not signed in. However on the other hand, none of my posts are personal attacks on others.

Okay, to the report. This was the 6th trip to SXM. Always the same time of year and about the same length. Also always a direct flight from Philly. Left on time,arrived early. We were met at the airport by Unity our rental car of choice and off we went to La Vista, our home away from home.

As to the rental car. Michael has always treated us well. When we had a problem there was no hassle. I never compare prices because it is the service that matters to me. This year others were talking about prices and Unity was higher in price for the two weeks. After thinking about it for well over a minute I decided that service was still more important and I will be emailing Michael in October and booking with him next year

As to timesharing, a heck of a thread before I left. It works for my wife and me. La Vista is more than just a place to stay, we meet the same people every year, party with them and have a great time together. Nowhere else in the world and with no other people could you get me a Caribe at 9am. I am a great believer in timesharing for some and the majority of people I talk out of timesharing. If interested check out timesharing forums first

BEACHES
Stayed at La Vista more this year than others. Our favorite remains Friars. Went several times. Only complaint was Kali was 1.5 to the dollar which made a cheeseburger, nicoise salad and two beers $50. Brought lunch with us the other times we went. Also went to Mullet and Pinel this year. Love them both. Rosie’s ribs and fries $7, the second best you can get(we’ll discuss Mark’s in a minute). At Pinel ate at Karibuni. 1.35 to the dollar. Had the cod fish balls appetizer and the conch appetizer, one fancy drink and a coke for $35. Our last beach was Karacter Beach. What a great find. As long as planes landing and taking off don’t bother you, it’s a beautiful beach. The bus restaurant was good but the deal was excellent. Order drinks and the chairs and umbrella are free. A gouda salad sandwich and tuna salad sandwich and two iced cappachinos(excellent) were $27.

RESTAURANTS
Lunch
In addition to the beach lunches we ate at Marks(see above) These are the best ribs on the island. All u can Eat at 12.50. I get the $10 plate because the portion is so large. Wife had talapia. An ice tea and a Caribe $25. Lunch at La Vie En Rose, but not really. Just some panninis, don’t even think they were associated with the restaurant. Okay, nothing to write home about $1-1 $20. Also ate at Bonita’s (formerly Ric’s). ½ slab of ribs and a turkey sandwich, 2 beers $20. Food was just okay
The best lunch deal in town. The Hideaway. A cheeseburger and a Hamburger with fries, absolutely delicious, $12.50

Dinners
Favorites- BISTRO NU I love this place. It is even better under the new owner. 1.3-1
Escargo, Wild Boar Stew, Beef bourguignon Expresso and tip $90
Pineapple Pete’s You guessed it. The lobster thermidore for me. Fish and chips Mozzarella cheese and a beer $71
La Villa Just opened in Grand Case where Alabama was. Could fast become our favorite. Food was great and beautifully prepared. 1.25-1 Fish Soup(rockfish, outstanding), onion soup, Eggplant Lasagna w/goat cheese, Shrimp and Scallop Risotto Perfutto rolls for dessert $85. One drink a piece on the house (Champagne Kir and Port)
Hideaway, a hidden gem, Onion Soup, Shrimp a la Riviera, 2 groupers with the 15% added $63

Also very good
Stone - veggie eggroll, squid appetizer, 2 Talapia $72
Lee’s garlic shrimp for appetizer, extra large Snapper for two, 2 coronas $45
Peg Legs Salad, Bourbon steak,mixed kabobs and a beer $70
Claude’s a tradition up to $120 but includes everything and the lobsters seemed especially good this year.

Good
Greenhouse at Simpson Bay- popcorn shrimp, grouper,fish and chips $50
Mooi Rib eye,Salmon glass of wine $38

OK
Toppers at the sea show was fun but the food only okay. Dinner for four 2 prime ribs, chicken marsala,mahi-mahi 2 wines and a caribe $140
Sunset hamburger,cheeseburger, 2 drinks and a beer $37

No scotch purchases this year, prices were just too high for what I wanted. Roundabouts were excellent, really helped. No crime issues. Took a direct flight back to Philly. Took a mere 36 hours and sleeping in Charlotte but I must say the USAir people were very helpful and courteous

Thanks for tolerating such a long report