This was our 8th trip to SXM over the past 14 years and was a celebration of my wife’s 60th birthday as well as a way to “power down” from our hectic schedules.
Airline – Since we live just outside of Atlanta we always take Delta since we prefer non stops to SXM and US Air requires a connection through Charlotte. Flight to SXM left at 10:05am and arrived at 2:15pm which was a few minutes early. The departing flight on 9/11 left at 3:35pm and arrived in ATL at 7:25 right on time. Very smooth this time around.
Car Rental – We rented with Kenny’s Car Rental and were met in the visitors parking lot by Lesley and we signed the agreement, got our phone from him (supplied by Sharon) and were off in a matter of minutes. We returned the car to him on 9/11 at 1pm as he requested. He was not there when we arrived but another rental agency guy reached him by phone and we left the keys and parking ticket in the ashtray as Lesley asked and we headed to the terminal. A good experience with Kenny’s and would use them again.
Oyster Bay Beach Resort – We are owners here and we stayed in the newer units adjacent to the Lighthouse complex. We have a studio but always upgrade to a one bedroom. We were in room 1216 which is beautifully furnished, well appointed and had a spacious balcony which overlooks the ocean and provides a great view of St. Bart’s. We had our morning coffee and evening cocktails on the balcony every day we were there. I also got up early a few times and enjoyed the sun rise. The resort was in great shape considering Earl had just paid a visit. Some minor tree damage and that was about it. We did experience one negative incident and that was a loss of water. Happened on Monday morning but was rectified by 6pm that evening. However when we woke up the next morning water was out but did finally return for good by noon. Were told problem was Earl related as GEBE was working on a damaged water main near the resort. Overall, not a real big deal but my wife did have a few anxious moments.
Restaurants – We had a nice dinner at Big Fish for my wife’s birthday. She had the lamb and I had a seafood combo of shrimp, mahi mahi, lobster and scallops. She raved about the lamb and my meal was good as well. The staff brought out a nice sized piece of cheesecake with a sparkler and sang her happy birthday which was a nice touch. Total tab with tip was around $100 which also included a sizeable martini for me and two glasses of wine between us.
Had lunch at Le String on Orient Beach which is just down the beach from Kontiki where we were sitting. Two chairs and umbrella was $15. Wife had the coconut shrimp with a glass of rose and I had a cheeseburger and a carib. Tab was about $30.00 with tip. The couple next to us had the shrimp kabob which was presented on a hanger over their plate. They raved about it and said they had been looking forward to it since their last visit of six months ago.
Went to Talk of the Town in Grand Case one afternoon and I had the rib and chicken combination and my wife had the ribs. Meal comes with three sides and all for just 10 bucks per meal. Always make this stop. Also went to El Rancho Del Sol for a quick lunch one day and just split the chicken wing and fries combo. Nice view, ambience and service here. Prices are in Euros and the tab was around $25 including glass of wine and a Carib. Went by Sunset Beach Bar which is on the grounds of Grand Case Beach Club. We visited here on our first trip to SXM when we were dating and wanted to check it out because of our fond memories of the place – can’t get into details. Just sat in the café and had a glass of wine together while enjoying the view and the overall beauty of the setting there. Also tried Busby’s this time for breakfast and it was not very good. Eggs not well prepared and home fries and sausage just fair. Also coffee at $2.50 apiece was a bit much. In addition cooked a few meals in the room and OBBR had a nice owner’s buffet dinner for us (complimentary) on Friday. The seating was on the veranda overlooking the infinity pool and the ocean just beyond. There was also a band playing some nice soft music – very nice evening. Lastly, had a nice lunch at Toppers by the Sea prior to heading to the airport on Saturday. Wife had the brisket which she said was melt in your mouth good and I had another cheeseburger which was large and very tasty. One of the best I have had on the Island.
Beaches – Spent time at Dawn Beach every day since it is on the property of where we stayed. Water was fairly calm and very warm. Always spend a day at Orient and the beach there was as beautiful as always and not very crowded. Went to Mullet one day and the water there was extremely calm and crystal clear. Seaweed was not in evidence and again the beach was in just great condition. Went to Friars Bay the Sunday after we got there but unfortunately it rained on the way over and got worse after we got there. Will try it again next time as we did like the look of it and want to hang out at Kali’s as well.
Weather – Weather was good except for one day when it was very windy all day with intermittent rain and overcast skies. Think this was Gaston just grazing the Island. Surf was way up on Dawn Beach which made swimming risky at best.
Another great trip to the Island and we are already looking forward to our next one. Let me know if any questions or comments.