Member Spotlight
pat
pat
Brookfield, CT.
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
30 registered members (Todd_Melinda_K, jrw, snman31, bailau, nevar37, Whale Tail, ARC, 706jim, JeanneB, RatmansWife, Kennys, SXMScubaman, PML, xrayman67, YachtReprise, ambmike, Instigator, NumberCruncher, Lionsail, eightzerobits, OceanSong, Zanshin, jeepers, 7 invisible), 930 guests, and 57 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Update on storm #138076
08/16/2017 12:59 PM
08/16/2017 12:59 PM
Ill, USA
Will_L Offline OP
Traveler
Will_L  Offline OP
Traveler
Ill, USA
Well the 15 inches of rain last week put a dent in our plans. My admirals back was ailing so we did not take the boat off the hard. Our plans were to get her back the needed rest. It is easily accomplished since our condo is only a mile from savannah bay, my favorite beach period. The parking area is only 50 ft from our usual spot under some huge sea grapes ? The "swimming hole" with no toe stubbers and an easy entry and gradual increase in depth so that 80 yards offshore is shoulder depth was perfect for this trip as always.

Things went along as planned for first few days....then the storm came..little wind but a lot of rain in a tropical wave. I've been in a few before..more wind..less rain. Before any conversation going to climate change etc..this same thing happens somewhere and does most every summer in the island chain. This time it was the bvis turn to experience the wrath of a slow moving rain dropping event...bout 15 inches in an afternoon and night.

No place is prepared for that much rain. I understand many were left homeless on Tortola and had short notice. It is truly a blessing that there were no fatalities..back home in flash flooding loss of life is all too common. Kudos to the population for being aware and taking care..there was no warning of this extreme rain event. Not blaming the weather folks..they don't know how long or how strong a rain event will be over a given island.

Anyway, though Tortola people suffered the most Virgin Gorda was hit hard. Internet electricity and phone service was out a good while and remains out for many on island. Cable was back in a couple days. smile. Not sure of priority. We are fortunate that the generator at the complex kicks on within a minute of losing power.

Anyway the entrance to Savannah bay was flooded along its length. Indeed looked like the Mekong delta..there were some deep gorges in the road exposed as you pull off North sound road that were not under water..hitting one of those two feet deep holes on the water covered path would not have done our Subaru Forester much good. Walking in with the admirals back..was impossible.

So we took a ferry to anegada and spend Friday thru Sunday at Lobloly to get some easy beach time.

Came back and Monday followed the park truck that empties trash into savannah bay ..wouldn't do it with a rental. Still a hundred fifty yards under water. No problem after first 50 feet of mud. Worked fine Tuesday and today as well.

Only had one other car a private one come in.

There are huge washed out areas along Savannah bay beach..two near parking area about 10 feet deep and twenty foot across, from parking lot end to beach. . Took pics on phone, Forgot how to post but will text them to someone if interested messages me with a cell contact.

It is mostly of course just fine. And will heal.

The bad news is that another wave is due tonight through Thursday night..and possibly another on Friday. Hopefully will be more normal, perhaps more wind and less rain.

Anyway, other than the storm (Mrs Lincoln how did you like the play?) it's been great here..good trade winds off the Atlantic ..lots of Sun..kindles all loaded, grill working and village Cafe, with the best burger and nachos on island open and rolling.

BVI Sponsors
Re: Update on storm [Re: Will_L] #138077
08/16/2017 01:39 PM
08/16/2017 01:39 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Will L, it was quite the event. I just posted some photos from the boat in Part 8 of my reports. I'll send you a pm and upload the photos for you.

Re: Update on storm [Re: Will_L] #138078
08/16/2017 03:23 PM
08/16/2017 03:23 PM
Ill, USA
Will_L Offline OP
Traveler
Will_L  Offline OP
Traveler
Ill, USA
Surf is kicking up..wind blowing in 20s..30s ..visibility bout300 yards...rain starting

Re: Update on storm [Re: Will_L] #138079
08/16/2017 03:29 PM
08/16/2017 03:29 PM
Ill, USA
Will_L Offline OP
Traveler
Will_L  Offline OP
Traveler
Ill, USA
Now can hardly see coast 150 yards away and raining like it did d last week.. got a big east blow. Hope everyone on a boat takes cover and rain is tolerable.