Once upon a……Blue……….
The week aboard the Blue Moon with Capt. Jim far exceeded our expectations. We bid on the Potters relief fund that Magnum Walker arranged and was very surprised and happy to be able to “win” and give assistance to Potter and his rebuilding efforts. Our crew was made up of my wife and I, Mother and Father-in-law, Aunt & Uncle (wife’s side) and some friends, all three couples live in Florida. We flew into STT and stayed our first night at Hotel 1829. The accommodations were reasonably priced and we were treated very well by the staff. We walked down to the Hook Line & Sinker for our first meal in the islands and no one seemed to be disappointed. Lynn and I got a look at our May charter boat, “Who Cares” at CYOA following our dinner..…can’t wait! We ferried over to Road Town and walked over to Village Cay Marina to wait on the Blue Moon. We had appetizers and a few drinks at the bar. Capt. Jim pulled into a slip and welcomed all aboard. A very beautiful boat, and we all selected our comfortable berths. After a shopping trip to Bobby’s, who helped us take our provisions back to the boat, everything stored, Capt. Jim recommended a dinner at the Spaghetti Junction (first for Lynn & I.) I figured we would have a chance to get acquainted with our Captain and have a nice meal…..which we did. Although, I think we learned much more than he wanted us too, because, low and behold, who shows up at our table to provide us some very in-depth and colorful background into our Captain ………….. Kneafseym and Tony (Utopia.) Wow…..I was now even more sure that we were in for a fun filled week! Kneafesym was flying out the next morning with Magnum, we asked that he thank Walker. We were then off to bed to rest for our first day!

Day One: We had given the stops that we would like to make to the Captain earlier, so that he could make our sailing itinerary. The Captain recommended we sail to Cane Garden Bay because the scuttle on TTOL was that the lead singer of AC/DC and Greg Billings may show up on a boat, and there was a possibility that the Elmtones (first for Lynn & I) would be joined by them for a song or two. Off we were for our first nice sail. After dropping the hook in front of the Elms, we went ashore, had a few drinks at Myett’s, and went over to get the table that the Captain had reserved. And believe it or not, the table for nine was right in front of the band! We had a very nice dinner and was enjoying the Elmtones, when, as has been reported by many on TTOL, Greg Billings got up and gave us the best rendition of Mustang Sally that I’ve ever heard. It was over the top amazing for our third night in the Islands! Greg Billings lit up the Elmtones, all who obviously enjoyed playing with him! The Utopia crew, Carolyn and Paul, were there too. Capt. Jim’s second good call! Nice night on the hook.

Day Two: After breakfast, off to Sandy Cay for a very nice snorkel, then to White Bay and the Soggy Dollar Bar. We were in between lunch and dinner, so my want of a flying fish sandwich will have to wait until May. We had a quick, well kinda quick, burger from Gertrude’s. I got to visit with Capt. Jay for a few minutes and discuss the boat we chartered for May, and then it was off to the Blue Moon and a quick motor to Great Harbor. We dropped the hook and had a very nice pasta and Italian sausage dinner on board. Everyone was a little too worn out from the flights and first few days of activities, so no one went ashore. To bed early for everyone, except the Captain and I, who set up with a few beers, and a nice visit……until I got a little slurry, and went off to bed myself.

Day Three: Left Great Harbor after a water fill-up and a quick shore visit by a few. We motored over to Diamond Cay for a nice snorkel by most of the crew. Lynn and I lingered in the water off the back of the Blue Moon, hanging onto the flotation that the Captain put out, when Capt. Bligh Jim told us that we looked like we needed our first beer of the day…..what a cruel Capt.! He forced the Corona Light upon us! Woohoo, we were in the islands now! We left Diamond Cay on a nice reach, sailing by Soper’s, and on to Norman and the Bight. A nice snorkel stop at the Indians, enjoyed by all, then we took a ball reasonably close to the Willy-t. We all enjoyed appetizers….very good conch fritters and then a nice meal. I have a fondness for fish and chips, and theirs were pretty good. Willy-t’s on a Sunday night was a little too much for some of the crew, so we headed back to the boat and turned in. I think Capt. Jim and I polished off a few more beers first, but that memory is a little hazy right now.

Day Four: My second favorite sail of the trip. Several tacks and we made it to Leverick just missing our tack to the east of the Dogs. Pulled into Leverick hoping for a slip, but found the Marina packed with boats and five large yachts. We were getting ready for a ball when Capt. Jim worked some magic with Dave on the dock, and into a slip we went! We all got ready for Michael Bean. The show and food was great. The conch fritters were as good as the Willy t’s, except I had one roll down the front of the only “dress” shirt I packed; Murphys’ Law even in the islands! Utopia and crew, Carolyn and Paul w/ Lusea were there too…….I was starting to feel a little stalked! Everyone had a great time and Nick has done a great job with the setting. We’ve seen Bean twice at Marina Cay, and the atmosphere Nick and Michael have created is very very nice! We will stop by again! We sit the evening on the boat watching the entertainment of the Mega yachts next to us. Several of the crew of the Utopia attempted a boarding raid on one of the yachts….and the elf………..…no really, he was dressed up as an elf……….. and was the only member to successfully board. Very funny to watch!

Day Five: By far my favorite sail of the trip! Capt. Jim and Capt. Tony challenged each other to a race to Anegada. We never were able to overtake the Utopia, but I would call the race a tie. The Utopia turned the motors on first, at some imaginary nun that Capt. Tony claims to have existed at some point in time…….or so he was told by Captain Teach, I think. Anyway, it was a lot of fun and Capt. Jim made good on the bottle of rum owed for our “loss.” We all went in to take a cab to Cow Wreck, but were able to meet Potter first. He was very gracious and thankful for our donation. A very nice person as I’ve heard said many times on this board. Cow Wreck was enjoyable. Next, we went into Potters for an exceptional meal. Lynn and my first visit to Anegada and we split a lobster, and it was by far the best that we’ve had in the BVI. The next surprise…….Potter would accept no payment and comped our meals and drinks as a thank you for our donation. WOW, what a trip! Fourth great call by our Captain!

Day Six: A very nice sail to Trellis. Trellis was already packed for the full moon party. Set the hook on the back side of the Last Resort, in what we thought was the last spot (the “Full Moon” Catamaran later squeezed in on the side of the “Blue Moon”….. really.) Some stayed on the boat for a little rest and several went into shore for some shopping. I of course, wearing my new “dress” shirt bought at the Leverick Pussers, took an accidental dive off the transom while helping my mother-in-law into the dingy. As I entered the water, I somehow had the foresight to let go of her, and toss her purse that I was holding, barely onto the last step of the transom. Now down to no “dress” shirt again, and a Captain heading off in dingy chuckling at his guest standing on the transom soaking wet! Some guy this Captain is! The full moon party and food was excellent, and of course our stalkers, the Utopia and crew, were there too. Very nice people all! Another great call!

Day Seven: We all had a discussion with the Captain about our last stops. After all the options were covered, it was agreed to sail to Salt Island for the coveted sea glass. A very nice snorkel off of Man Head, and then off on our sea glass quest. The Captain was very popular with several crew members on this stop. After several tons of sea glass were recovered, we got under sail and had a very nice, and I mean very nice, spinnaker sail to Soper’s. We docked at a small dock, and I was off to the Pussers to buy another “dress” shirt for dinner at the Jolly Roger’s (First for Lynn & I.) I thought about walking around the bay to the Jolly Rogers, but risked the dingy ride and this time kept my shirt dry! “Bluebayou” posted earlier that the Willy t had the best rare seared tuna. I would have to debate that post. I’ve had many rare seared tuna dinners through the years, and Jolly Rogers was by far the best! Sixth great call! Everyone enjoyed the dinner and then it was off to pack for our departure.
The last day! Up early and off to the Best Cup for some coffee for the crew. We had a quick breakfast, said our goodbye’s to Capt. Jim and took the 1030 ferry to CA. We got some very nice photos of the “Blue Moon” sailing by Francis Bay as we passed by.

Likes: Anegada (or as one Boston crew member will always remember, Anagorder) and Potters; all of the meals were great; the sailing plan by Capt. Jim was perfect and the spinnaker fantastic, once up; the Elm, Elmtones and Greg Billings; our stalkers, the Utopia and crew, Lusea and her parents; Nick and Bean’s great job at Leverick; The full moon party and their new local band, very very good; eight days of perfect weather; an exceptionally fun crew….with lots and lots of laughs; and the class act of the Blue Moon and Capt. Jim! Thanks to Magnum for all of the work and making the arrangements!

Dislikes: We’re not there now and falling off the transom and dingy several times in front of Captain Jim! But will be back in four months, with two “dress” shirts and plenty of opportunities to fall into the beautiful BVI waters!! WOOHOO!