Trip Report Feb 5-19, 2011

Better late than never, the best two weeks of the year have come and gone so quickly, it’s a fading memory now.

Flew in from Ottawa, via Toronto, with our best friends and we were off to the villa I’ve been dreaming of for months. Wondering, worrying, would it meet our expectations, was it safe, is it in the middle of no where? The anticipation of Blue Cap Villa is almost too much to bear.

First we have to meet Lesley Bruce for our white Corolla. He takes one looks at the four of us and our 12 suitcases and laughs. The fellows go get the car, BFF and I grab a cab with the bags and head down Billy Foley Rd. to find our home for the next two weeks. There it is, just like the map says, past La Vista, right next to Eleganzia. There are three parking spots, to the right of the iron gates. From the front it looks smaller than the pictures, starting to worry.

We fumble with our 12 suitcases along the gravel laneway and up the winding staircase. We are immediately welcomed by the lovely Hema, our house manager for the next two weeks. Would you like a beer, she asks our thirsty husbands, and the young house mistress opens the fridge where we see it freshly stocked for morning. Beer, soft drinks, orange juice, coffee, cream, bread, eggs, and peanut butter. She thought of everything, no grocery run needed tonight. This is so much more civilized than our regular check in at the pelican.

We took a moment to take in our surroundings. Two sets of three patio doors that fully open on the upper level. The view is better than imagined. We walked through the upper concourse and to the gazebo. Breathtaking. Many a glass of wine was enjoyed here while watching the daily departures of the cruise ship. Back to the rest of the house; down the very steep staircase to the two lower bedrooms. Each equipped with a grand stone walk- in shower. The bedroom on the right had a separate laundry room, didn’t mind one bit when the friends wanted the room with the laundry. Out the door near the bedrooms is our own infinity pool. There is a huge patio, four cushioned lounge chairs, dining table, BBQ. There is a walkway out the door below the pool heading right to the beach, maybe 50 steps. Too good to be true, and two whole weeks. Not ones to take many pics, this is the link for the villa if anyone is interested www.vill-rental-sxm.com
Fairly accurately portrayed in the pics, but it may be a little more dated than shown, very clean, no major issues.

Now that the anxiety over the accommodations has been soothed, we’re hungry. Off to one of many trips to Lee’s for 3 mahi mahi’s and 1 burger. Life is good, a long dinner and we’re ready to drop. Back home – yes we’re calling it home after a few hours – and off to bed.

Next morning brings coffee on the balcony, watch the morning parade of cruise ships come in, and breakfast from the supplies that Hema has left for us. Today looks like an Orient Beach day and we head off to Orange Fever. Head off for our walk, first down to Club O and then to Mont Vernon. This is the walk I wait all year for, it’s finally here. Spent most of the day lounging, and enjoying some pinot noir on the beach. And that’s what I love about this island, slightly chilled French pinot noir, toasted goat cheese salad, on the beach. I try to explain why I keep coming back, and it’s these simple pleasures that I can’t quite put into words. Back to the villa to catch a few more rays, have a little nap. Tonight we’re cooking in and loving every minute of our February home.

Most of our days were spent much like this. Coffee and cruise ships, a little beach lunch and wine, a nap and somewhere wonderful for dinner. I won’t list every meal ( and 3 weeks home still wondering why my pants don’t fit quite right), but we certainly enjoyed The Greenhouse, Izi’s, Three Palms, Fuzion (a favorite), Peg Leg Pub, Pizza Galley, La Gondola, Granduca . We ran out of nights before we ran out of choices.

Did a modest amount of jewelry shopping, some Roberto Coin drop earrings for myself and for BFF a stunning pair of Roberto Coin diamond hoops. We have both revised our wills to re-gift each other.

Even our last day was wonderful. Hema started getting the villa ready for the next lucky group and we hung around the pool and gazebo, just a little longer. Our flight home is delayed just a bit, so we leave our bags safely at our villa and head off to Lee’s for a last long lunch. As we are sipping some sauvignon blanc, best friend needs to go and take a picture of the lobster tank. Somehow her hand comes around the back of her own earring and brand new diamond hoop earring goes flying into the lobster tank. There is some panic and commotion over this earring not quite hers for even 24 hrs (and hubby may not know exactly how much it cost). Everyone is moving lobsters trying to find the elusive sparkler. Finally the lovely “bus girl” from Lee’s raises her hand victorious. A big round of applause and a generous tip and the diamonds are back with their rightful owner. What a great last day, some sun, wine, good food and better friends. Sort of sums up our whole trip.

Back to reclaim our bags and off to the airport we go for the long trip home. No one’s heart is in it, two weeks just wasn’t enough. Despite the delay of our originating flight we managed to make our connection and arrive home pretty much as scheduled. Same time next year, but maybe a little longer.