How long had we been looking forward to this trip? It seemed like forever that we had been planning for our almost three weeks in the Caribbean. We were once again going to return to Grenada. We had gotten into a habit of going to Grenada – almost yearly, but last summer ventured back to one of our other favorite areas, the British Virgin Islands. We love the B.V.I., but knew when we were there last summer how much we missed our little island in the sun that we had become so attached to, and knew we had to return to Grenada on our next trip.

This year, no charter boat sailing was involved, as we usually do… just time for relaxation on beautiful beaches, time for venturing out to do our favorite things on the island. We did spend a few days in Barbados this year, a new experience for us. Since a three-week trip report tends to be LONG, I’ll shorten things up a bit and save you from a long detailed trip report. Instead, I’ll highlight, via pictures, our beautiful little island in the sun…
Photo Book Link

What would do differently? Hmmm… we had an interesting experience at a Barbados hotel, and after a hot, noisy night moved to the Hilton. I guess before we go back to Barbados, I would need to do some research on hotel options and be more selective. The Hilton was great (and just what we needed at the time), but we usually select smaller hotels, more authentic. Barbados was so very different than lush Grenada, and it would be nice to have a few days there to do more exploring.

Yes, I did have a L.I.A.T. issue this year (my first actually), so next time I will do a double check on my flight information the day prior to my flight. Flight time had been moved from noon till early morning. No notification to us, so we arrived at 10:30 finding our flight had left...

One of our “traditions” is to immediately start planning for our return to the Caribbean after our trip. We all know the Dreaded Island Fever (D.I.F.) symptoms, and that the only cure is to return to the sunny Caribbean! Next year, we will have a three-week trip, and involve a sailing week in the Grenadines as well. The planning and preparation for next year is well underway! Can't wait...

Highlights?

Grenada:
Spice Market (and bringing back almost a small suitcase of yummy spices... boy did that suitcase smell WONDERFUL!)
Lunch at BB’s Crabback BB's Crabback
Lunch at Nutmeg (seeing Spice and Strokey from old Windjammer days)
Visiting the Grand Etang and seeing the monkeys (even with the rain, they still came to visit!)
Hanging in the lovely infinity pool at Bel Air Plantation Resort Bel Air Plantation Resort
Taking the “bus” into town
Learning to cook pizza, risotto, and seafood pasta from the chef at LaLuna
Learning to make a GREAT rum punch from the bartender at La Luna
Lunch at La Sagesse (we were rained out of the lovely beach there this year) La Sagesse
Lunch at Umbrellas (new since our last visit – very good)
Our time at Mt. Cinnamon – loved Mt. Cinnamon...beach cabana is great! Mt. Cinnamon
Our lovely La Luna experience La Luna
A visit to wonderful Art Batik, talking with the owner and buying one of their beautiful creations! Art Batik (and hearing that one of my favorite authors, Ann Vanderhoof, had just been there on her sailboat - Receta - spanish for recipe. Who has read Embarrassment of Mangoes? And The Spice Necklace? Spice Necklace blog ) I wish I could have met her!

Barbados:
Day sail on Calabaza! Fantastic day swimming with turtles – priceless! Calabaza Sailing
Lunch at Mama Mia – cute Italian deli with delicious food Mama Mia