Air Travel:
US Airways: Rochester to Philly to SXM no issues.

US Airways: SXM to Charlotte to Rochester no issues.

Weather: Warm and mostly sunny all week. We had a few showers but nothing to interrupt your plans. We have been on SXM 9 times and this was the calmest the winds have ever been.

Car Rental: Unity for the 6th year. Good service and you deal directly with the owner which is great.

Phone Rental: Queen of SXM. We have rented for years now. No hassles. Peace of mind on a dark road

Accommodations Club Orient:
Club O was at 100% capacity. Staff was friendly and efficient. Stayed in a Waterfront Chalet, could use a little paint on the inside. Rumors abound about a shift in season dates moving the spring rates to June 1St. Manager was not on the island so the rumors remained. In my opinion they are going to kill the golden goose. The resort was full and the restaurant and bars were busy. Is it better to lengthen the high season rates (and perhaps loose guests) or have a full resort with people spending money?
Meet some old acquaintances and made some new ones. The people that stay at Club O have to be some of the friendliest people on earth. Old friends like Denise and Dennis, Fran and Joe and new friends Paul and Carla and Marco made the time go by with good conversation.

I played 2 nights of spirited volleyball. One good thing did get any sand on my clothes. Great fun.

Food:
Breakfast:
Very simple, a walk to the boutique to purchase some fresh baked goods and enjoyed them at the chalet while reading the Daily Herald.

Lunch:
Papagoyos: (3 times) Good service, good food and we get lazy and don’t want to put clothes on.

Andy and Cheryl’s: (2 times) Mussels ala Andy is my wife’s must do for the week. Other food is OK.

We were invited to a picnic lunch organized by Fran and Joe. Lots of homemade food, great folks and good conversation.

Dinner:

The Best

Skipjack’s: (2 times) Great lobster only $19.95/lb. grilled red snapper and shrimp and steak. We ate there on Saturday and they had some big groups due to the graduation at the medical school. The manager told us right off the bat there would be about a 15 minute wait for a table. He then bought us a drink – terrific gentleman. When we were seated the hostess again told us that service maybe a little delayed due to the large groups. We appreciated the honesty. The service was not that bad and Junior our waiter worked his butt off. When we were done, the manager came by the table again to apologize and offered us another drink. To be honest we have waited longer in restaurants with a lot less customers.

Tutta Pasta: Patricia and Warren are great and the food is fabulous and it won’t break your budget. Try menu item 29 it’s the best.

Yvette’s: Local food, local setting. Featured island dishes which are very good. I am fussy but had no problem finding something to order on the menu.

Good

Pineapple Pete’s: Good food, great service. Very consistent.

Talk of the Town: Good Chicken and ribs and 3 sides for $10. No need to say more. My wife’s favorite.

Just OK

Uncle Harry’s: Went for lobster, however, they only had one which was a 4 pounder. We picked other items nothing to rave about – fish was overcooked. Not sure if we will go back. Staff was friendly.

Activities:

Peggy and Paul’s Nude Cruise. We took the St. Barts’ trip. Peggy and Captain Paul are great hosts. We had a wonderful day. The seas were calm so we were able to go around the whole island. Great snorkeling. Had some very nice trip mates, Guido from Peru, Sarah and Eric, Penny and Paul and Denise and Dennis. Any of Peggy and Paul’s trips are definitely worth going on. Could have done away with the hour and a half at Gusatvia the capital of St. Barts – not our cup of tea. Even with the end of season sales shops were way too expensive for us. Great day and great people.

General Impressions:
Island very green from a large amount of rain the week before we arrived.

Saw a larger police presence on both sides. A drug related murder in broad daylight one day, but these days it could happen anywhere.

Thanks to Jim and Mary Ruos – Caribbean Island Travel, you are the best!